Criteria for Hsing-I Instructor Awards
(Printed on the reverse of all Certificates)
Switch to solid background Switch back to transparent
1. All Genuine certificates must have this notice on the back.
2. All Genuine certificates must have the YMA logo printed on the certificate.
3. All Genuine certificates must be signed by the relevant signatories (printed below signature).
4. Level 1, 2 and 3 instructors teach under the auspices of the senior Hsing-I instructor.
1. These certificates are awarded on the condition that the recipient conducts his or herself in accordance with the code of ethics of the YMA and teaches Hsing-I only in the manner required by the YMA. [see YMA code of ethics: paragraphs 4, 5, 6, & 7]
2. These certificates may be withdrawn at any time by a panel of 3 level 3 instructors or above or by the senior instructor for serious misconduct, at which time the certificate must be returned to the YMA.
Level 1 Instructors
are authorised to teach beginners.
1. Recipients must have trained for a minimum of 3 years in the art of Hsing-I and have taught beginners, under supervision, to the satisfaction of at least 2 Level 3 Instructors or one instructor holding the rank of Sifu, or the senior Hsing-I instructor.
2. Recipients must have a basic knowledge of first aid, class safety, breakfalls, a basic pattern of Five Elements Fighting, self defence methods and a preliminary knowledge of Five Elements Hsing-I theory and philosophy. In addition to bare-hand method, the student must have a basic understanding of at least one weapon from: spear or straight sword.
Level 2 Instructors
are also authorised to teach Elementary students.
1. Recipients must have been awarded the Level 1 certificate and have been training for a minimum of 5 Years, completed the Elementary level (see training notes) & be competent to teach the aspects of that level to the satisfaction of at least 2 or more Level 3 Instructors or above [from a panel of 3] or the senior Hsing-I instructor.
2. Recipients must have a basic knowledge of both Five Elements and Twelve Animals Hsing-I theory & philosophy, Five Elements Fighting, and six of the Twelve Animals (Bear-Eagle, Snake, Tiger, Dragon, Chicken and Horse) as links and additions to Five Elements Fighting. It is not a requirement of Level 2 that the recipient be proficient in Twelve Animals Fighting, but they must have achieved a good standard in Five Elements Fighting. In addition to bare-hand method, the recipient must have a basic knowledge of at least two weapons from spear, straight sword, short staff, or needles.
Level 3 Instructors
are also authorised to teach Intermediate students.
1. Recipients must have trained for a minimum of 7 years in the art of Hsing-I, have been awarded the level 2 certificate and be able to teach the art of Hsing-I at Intermediate level up to, but not including, advanced level, to the satisfaction of 2 instructors of the rank of Sifu or to the satisfaction of the senior Hsing-I instructor.
2. Recipients must have a good knowledge of first aid, resuscitation technique, class safety and management, all Twelve Animals (Bear-Eagle, Snake, Tiger, Dragon, Chicken, Horse, Swallow, Crocodile, Goshawk, Flycatcher, Monkey and Turtle), Twelve Animals Fighting, Hsing-I theory, philosophy and method, and have also studied An Shen Bao and Yan Yi. In addition, recipients must have a good knowledge of both spear and straight sword, and have a basic knowledge of two additional weapons from: needles, short staff, long staff, sabre, anti-cavalry sabre, halberds, hammers or archery.
The rank of Sifu is awarded unconditionally by the senior Hsing-I instructor after a minimum of ten years training, having already been awarded level 1, 2 and 3 instructor status, when a student has covered all aspects of the art of Hsing-I and has demonstrated competence in all physical aspects of the art and a deep understanding of the theory and philosophy that underpins the art of Hsing-I. A person carrying the rank of Sifu may or may not be teaching under the auspices of the YMA. In any event it may be expected that a holder of the rank of Sifu is capable of teaching the art of Hsing-I at all levels and will deport his or her self in a manner consistent with the rank of Sifu and in accordance with the spirit of Chinese internal arts.
Verification of certificates may be obtained by returning to The Association page selecting the instructor from the list and viewing the verification form.